What is going on in Newton in the 1850's?
How does what is going on in Newton reflect larger events in the US?
1. Begin with Step 1: Explore. Use the resources listed under Explore on the pathfinder below to get an overview of the 1800's in the United Stated.
2. After you have a general overview of the 1800's Mr. Matthews will work with you on step 2 : Identify to choose your research topic and inquiry questions.
3. Next, move on to Step 3: Gather. Use the resources listed under Gather on the pathfinder and begin looking at the resources available on your chosen topic.
4. Use the notes page in the Google Drive Project Folder for your topic to record information you gather, as well as images and other media.
5. Cite your sources in the Google Drive Project Folders under the "Sources Used" document.
Use the links below to explore major events of the 1800's in the United States.
Use the links below to explore major events of the United States during the 1850's.
African American History Timeline (scroll to 1850’s)
Guide to resources from the Newton Free Library
database for information on historic properties and areas in MA, searchable by address.
Newton City Directories
Back to 1859. List not only names & addresses, but also occupations, information about schools, ect.
Information about organizational records available at our archives
F.A. Day Middle School Library